Brancia di Apricena Marianna ,
Il convento di Santa Maria dell'Aracoeli nel XV secolo e il suo ruolo pubblico nel Comune di Roma,
Antonianum, 71/1 (1996) p. 79-103
SUMMARY: Up to the 19th century, the convent of Aracoeli extended itself to the whole northeastern surface of the Capitoline Hill and dominated the underlying quarter with the palace and the smaller palace Venezia, whilst to the east it overlooked the Forum and the Markets of Traianus. The whole complex, which already had its origin in the tenth century with the foundation of the Benedictine Abbey of Santa Maria de Capitolo was given to the Franciscans in 1248 and in 1444 established themselves there definitely the friars of the Observance. Since then the convent did not cease to expand in its dimensions with the construction of another cloister-which forms the object of the present study. In the second half of the 16th century, Paul III Farnese caused the building of the Apostolic Palace, whilst in the 18th century the convent became the residence of the Minister Plenipotentiary of King John V of Portugal, Jose Maria Fonseca da Evora, who constructed there important annexes, particularly the prestigious library. In 1884, as is well known, the area was chosen to build the Monument dedicated to Vittorio Emanuele II, and the whole complex of the convent was completely destroyed within the span of a few years.